Friday 23 October 2009

Farewell, Lindsay Henke

Last time I tried to blog, it wouldn't let me in...I've found me password, and I'm BACK! Woo-hoo!

My final essay for the year was posted online last Monday; with a great deal of stress, anxiety, prayer from my minister, and worry, it was finally done! So I'm a bit more relaxed now. Well, a lot, actually. No exam this year; just LOADS of essays...for some unknown reason, I get MUCH more stressed about essays than exams! Go fig!

Two days ago, M. opened up the morning paper, and told me - "Oh no! Lindsay's died!" Now, Lindsay was our (male) next door neighbour, who would tease me with good-natured quips over the years, that I came to appreciate. On my side on the fence, I would pull his leg, saying things like: "...you should wear one of those pinstripe suits, with two-tone shoes, the number of cars you sell!" Lindsay would sell at least 3 or 4 cars a year, some years. I admit, there were times that I didn't appreciate his leg-pulling; but I came to appreciate his sense of humour. He & his family have looked after our cats for years, when we are away. Also, he gave us a 29" TV a couple of years back. I remember part of the conversation...Lindsay said, in his croaky cancer-affected voice, "D'you want a TV, Neville? My daughter doesn't want it anymore. She doesn't have the remote."

N: "What about these two roosters?...your sons?"

L: "Don't be stupid! This one has a 29" in his bedroom, and THAT one already has a 42" telly in his room!"

N: "What brand is it?"

L: "Philips."

N: "Hmmmm..." (thinks: we have a Philips remote in the kids toybox, doin' nothing...)
"I'll take it! ...could these carry it over for me? My back, you understand..."

L: "Righto, Neville!"

I gave Lindsay two dozen DB Export beer for the telly, which was good value in anyone's books.

RIP, Lindsay Henke. You'll be missed.

1 comment:

  1. good to see you back, Nev... you take better care of that password in future!

    ReplyDelete